At 32 weeks pregnant with twins I am getting my hospital bag packed since we could end up going at any point in the next 5 weeks! My hospital gives you a list of things to bring but I am taking quite a bit more of that since it only covers the basics.
Just a note that I will most likely be staying in the hospital for 4-5 days, much longer than many people in other countries would stay. For that reason, I am bringing quite a few more clothing items than other people would. Also, I will not be bringing a carseat as we will be leaving the hospital by taxi and the babies will be in a baby carrier (common practice in Tokyo).
My hospital also asks you to pack a small bag for the delivery room and a second bag for the recovery room and hospital stay. In my delivery room bag I am also going to pack the items I would want in the first 24 hours after delivery, such as my toiletries, so I don’t have to dig through a suitcase right away.
If you prefer a video format, I also made a video showing what I packed! You can check it out here.
Here’s what I am packing…
Delivery Room Bag
- Flip flops
- Small towel (in case I use the bathtub during labor)
- Washcloth size towel (for sweat, etc)
- 1 nursing friendly nightgown
- 1 pair of black underwear
- 1 nursing bra (if I am not wearing it in labor)
- 1 pair of socks
- Water bottle with a straw
- Snack bag
- Toiletries (face wash/moisturizer, chapstick, hand lotion, shampoo/conditioner/body wash, toothbrush/toothpaste, dry shampoo)
- Extra hair tie
- Music playlist downloaded to my phone as the hospital does not have wifi
- Body shower sheets (to wipe off after delivery)
- Phone charger
- Essential oils (peppermint and lavender)
- Personal pillow
- Maternity and Child Health Handbook (for both babies)
- Insurance card
- My passport
- Hospital registration card
- Ward office vouchers/paperwork
Recovery Room Suitcase
- 2 nursing-friendly nightgowns
- 4 more pairs of black underwear (total of 5 packed)
- 2 more nursing bras
- 2 nursing tank tops
- 2 pairs of comfy leggings
- Lightweight robe
- Open front cardigan
- Loose fitting t-shirt (for going home) to be worn with the leggings and cardigan
- 1 pair of socks (2 total)
- Extra pillowcase for my pillow
- Small towel (2 total)
- Bath towel (my husband and I can share)
- Minimal makeup bag
- Nursing pads (one reusable and 2 sets disposable)
- Nipple cream
- Nursing pillow
- Pikimama baby sling for bringing them home
- Bottled water (backup in case I run out and my husband isn’t there to buy more)
Also in my recovery room suitcase will be a couple things for the babies:
- Going home clothes (2 sets of clothing in both preemie and newborn size because I don’t know what will fit yet)
- 2 muslin blankets (for photos and to personalize their bassinet)
- 4 gauze towels for spit up, etc
My hospital will provide diapers, wipes, postpartum pads of various sizes, and a peri bottle so I don’t need to bring those items.
My husband will also pack his own bag with a few items for the stay, however he will most likely not be staying overnight the entire time like during my first delivery as he will be at home with my son more.
Is there anything I am missing that you think I should add? Let me know!